The Video Club

           Is it Patience or Gladys? She says both. A woman who looks beyond her 31 years says she earns 2,000 LD (about $28.50) per day selling $3.50 hits of heroine. The rain has stopped and sunlight is pouring through the clouds but we're oblivious, in a cave illuminated with blue light. Three women are here to talk with us about why they sell or use drugs. Their stories are devastating. The mother of one says she had a baby who starved to death during the war. 
         "After the war there was nothing. So I found myself selling heroin. That what I live on," the woman says.
         Tetee asks her how much money she makes from selling. "Everybody make money out of heroin," she rasps.
         "It's a risk. It's so costly," says another woman selling market. "The whole life is a risk. I'm not really pleased in doing it. I know God will make a way. I know one day I'll be saved from this. It's just the start of my life, it's not the end."
          Gladys, who says she began using in 2005, says she sells sex for 40 LD because she needs heroine. "I be sure to get money before it leaves my system." She wishes NGOs would shelter her and give her treatment and vocational training. She sleeps on the sidewalk. Some of her customers refuse to wear condoms. "I want the NGOs to come to I and my friends and help us, come to our aid."


Comments

Popular Posts